Wednesday, April 14, 2010

What's in the box?

Today is Wednesday - the day we pick up our new box from Full Belly Farm, our CSA in Capay Valley! This week is packed full of greens. I've become so accustomed to eating greens that last night, when the green well had run dry (Tuesday nights are my new scrape-the-bottom-of-the-barrel night), I felt slightly panicky about not having some authentic veggies in the house. No, potato chips and broccoli slaw don't exactly cut it!

Here's the contents of our box for the week of 4/14 through 4/20, on Tax Day Eve. (Funny about the IRS ... we mailed our taxes on Saturday, and the IRS has already cashed our check.)


Asparagus
Red Round Radishes
Green Garlic
Mixed Chard
Red Russian Kale
Winter Savory
Salad Mix
Braising Mix

Last week we had the French breakfast radishes (long and lean), but this week we have red round radishes (short and squat):

Red Russian kale (be still, my beating heart):


And two kinds of greens. The first is lettuces:

And the second is braising greens. These are meant to be cooked, like spinach or even chard and kale:

See the purplish leaf to the right? I have no idea what it is! But it looks tasty.

And now for the big mystery. What is winter savory, you might ask? It is an herb, similar to something like thyme, that can be used in dishes with a variety of flavor palettes. Here's what winter savory (as opposed to summer savory) looks like:

And this is what I received in my box:



Those are not the same plants, right?? The one that popped up in our box looks just like a young fennel! I even tasted the frond-like leaves and they just tasted ... like leaves! No herbal flavor or unique taste at all. I am very confused! I'm not even sure what to do with the savory impostor.

We're ready for another wonderful week in veggie-land!

No comments:

Post a Comment