Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Ravishing Radish & a Big Salad

The radishes we received this week were beautiful - ruby red bodies with snow white tips. They were delicate and lovely, and I was excited to try them.

A quick search revealed that the traditional French breakfast radish treatment is to eat them raw, thinly sliced, over a piece of buttered bread, sprinkled with salt. The radishes can also be braised or roasted, but I thought it would be fun to eat them in their pure form. They are a bit spicy yet refreshing.

Here's our radish sandwich. I toasted slices of wheat bread, slathered them generously with butter, topped them with the radishes, and sprinkled with salt.

The sandwich was tasty but I think it might have been better with untoasted bread, and creamy (non-melted) butter. But we often keep our bread in the fridge to extend the shelf life, so I usually have to toast it to compensate for the drying that happens the fridge.

We ate our radish sandwich alongside a Big Salad. We also each ate a piece of cheese toast. It's something of a tradition in our house! Simple and delicious.

Our salad contained: mixed greens from our box (these had great structure and were a bit toothsome), broccoli slaw mix (bagged, from Trader Joe's), carrots, red bell pepper, green onion, chickpeas, green apple, cashews, dried onions (from our box last week), goat cheese, mozzarella, and dried cranberries. I ate mine with my favorite salad dressing - a dab of olive oil (a teaspoon or two) plus a bunch of balsamic vinegar and a bit of dijon mustard. Lots of pepper. I like my salad to be nice and wet, so that's why I have to do a primarily vinegar-based dressing to control the calories.

Yum!!

The next day for lunch, I ate salad stuffed inside a tortilla, lined with hummus, drizzled with balsamic and olive oil. It was speedy, filling, and tasty. A wonderful second act for one of my favorite meals - I heart Big Salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment