Wednesday, March 3, 2010

C-S-A! C-S-A!

In January, my husband and I joined a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture), and I think it is going to revolutionize the way that our little family eats. We were already committed to eating local/organic produce when possible (with somewhat more emphasis on the local), but being forever dedicated to the Sunday farmers market under the freeway just wasn't sustainable. The further we moved from the city core, the more I felt like shopping for fresh fruits and veggies had become a chore rather than a pleasure. I love the farmers market, but I didn't love the throngs of people, the crazy parking lot, waiting until Sunday morning to do all my shopping (farmers market + grocery store(s)), planning a seasonal meal and finding the market was out of favas.

We (well, my husband) brave the rain, cold, and dark each Wednesday evening, driving through the alley and parking behind the Craftsman cottage in what feels very much like an underground activity. The boxes are stacked up in the back yard, beyond the rickety wood fence, and the husband packs our wonderful loot into his own bag, breaks down the box, and hurries off to bring home the bounty. By this point, I already know what we are getting - and I have likely planned the week's menu, giddy and expectant. The veggies are fresh and bright, newly picked and always delicious (and organic!). So far, this new rhythm of planning, obtaining, and cooking works well for me. We love our farm.

I know this isn't an earth-shattering concept. Forging a direct connection to the grower and supporting local and sustainable agriculture in our own community. Our farm is only 60 miles from our house - an hour's drive out into the country. Hopefully we will visit soon so we can strengthen our connection.

This week's bounty (for 3/3 through 3/9):


What's in the box:
  • Asparagus
  • Broccoli Romanesco
  • Broccoli
  • Carrots
  • Chard
  • Beets
  • Fresh Onions
  • Potatoes

I love these carrots! They are sweet and tender. And I almost hyperventilated when we got the first asparagus of the season last week.

(Yes, that's my gorgeous KitchenAid in the background - Martha Stewart edition!)

There is almost always one foreign veggie, something that i either haven't eaten or prepared before. Here's this week's alien:


Broccoli romanesco! More to come on what we do with it and how it tastes. Prior newbies include celery root, mustard greens, and green garlic (all of which were a success). My fear? This week's beets.

No comments:

Post a Comment